Shifting Seasons is an expansion for Villagers, visit my post of the base game here:
1-5 players, ages 10+
Playing Time: 30-60 minutes
Design & Artwork: Haakon Gaarder
Publisher: Sinister Fish Games
The Shifting Seasons expansion consists of several new modules which can be added (or left out) as you wish:
- A new Clay Suit brings more variety to longer games with 4 or more players
- Teams: by discarding 2 cards, players can recruit a Harvest or Builder team to help with the expansion of their village
- New Special Villagers with powerful abilities
- Monastery Solo Mode: Plays more easily than the original Countess mode that came with the Villagers base game
- And last but certainly not least, the module that spices things up the most for me are the Events: underneath the stacks without a Market Phase card there’s now an Event Card that gets triggered at the end of a round where the stack is emptied. These give nice bonuses or extra actions, and since they are visible from the start of the game, you can also perfectly adapt your strategy to them. And on top of that, thematically they all fit very well into the game, and I cannot imagine playing the game without this module ever again.
I think Shifting Seasons is an excellent expansion for an already great game: the modules don’t add that many extra rules, but they definitely add to the overall experience of the game.
Villagers: Shifting Seasons is now live on Kickstarter: